Sunday, June 7, 2009

whale watching

March 30

I was hungry for some crystal and I followed my shadow into the park, from whence I could smell the most delicious scents. They calmed my hunger, but still excited my senses. I tripped through bushes and puddles like a madman until I stumbled to a moss-covered bench. It was surrounded by trees on all sides, completely alien. I collapsed on the seat and instantly fell asleep.
I was awoken by an old man, dressed in a petticoat and poking me with a wooden cane.
"Let me tell you a story," he said looking through me in disapproval. I must have smelt like old cigarettes, ale and moldy paper bags. As I sat up, a single pigeon flew onto his shoulder.
"Once, I was on the vomit-covered shores of an old town and I lay on the beach naked. I ignored the smell and my surroundings. but I noticed the seagulls. They circled more and more above my head and so I decided to follow them. I tracked them two miles upon a beached whale, still breathing, with gusts awaiting death. The birds were patiently landing upon the beast, as they awaited the hungry opportunity to tear it apart."
I sat up. A pair of pigeons joined the one on the old man's back. They nuzzled up against him and cooed, but their yellow eyes watched me angrily.
"I sat and watched, deciding to witness this massive act of nature. As I observed more gulls gently descending on the depressed monster, I notice some had strings in their mouths, and I saw them tie them around barnacles and teeth."
I could hear my stomach rumble. More and more birds landed on the old man, until he looked like a walking aviary.
"I watched this miracle and I clapped my hands with glee. This startled the birds and they took off, carrying the whale with them and I watched in reverence until they disappeared behind the clouds and the wind."
The old man leaned down, the birds covering his body until just his nose stuck out from all the feathers.
"It was the only miracle I have ever witnessed, but I could not ask for more."
Then the old man clapped his hands and the birds took off with him in tangled talons. He wasn't very high before my sight of him was obscured by the trees.
I stood up and went in search to satisfy my hunger, again, but this time to gratify a new lust. A lust for something I could not explain.

No comments: